Prof. N. K. Lohiya, Ph.D., FNASc, FAMS
Prof. N. K. Lohiya, Ph.D,
Reproductive Physiology Section
Department of Zoology
University of Rajasthan
Jaipur - 302 004 INDIA
Tel No. : 91-141-2701809, 2703552 (O)
No. 91-141-2710880; 2701809
e-mail : email@example.com
Main research interest and subjects of articles you wish to review:
a) Male Reproduction
b) Contraception (Herbal, Chemical, Hormonal, Vas based)
c) Reproductive Toxicology
Publications: Total number of publications : 144
1. Srivastava, S., Ansari, A.S., and Lohiya, N.K. Ultrastructure of langur monkey epididymidis prior to and following vasectomy and vasovasostomy. European J. Morph. 38(1) : 24-33, 2000.
2. Lohiya, N.K., Manivannan, B. and Mishra, P.K. Repeated vas occlusion and non-invasive reversal with styrene maleic anhydride for male contraception in langur monkeys. International Journal of Andrology 23(1): 36-42, 2000.
3. Lohiya, N.K., Pathak, N., Mishra, P.K. and Manivannan, B. Contraceptive evaluation and toxicological study of aqueous extract of the seeds of Carica papaya in male rabbits. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 70(1): 17-27, 2000.
4. Mishra, P.K., Pathak, N., Manivannan, B. and Lohiya, N.K. Screening for the hormonal properties of the chloroform extract of Carica papaya Linn. seeds for antifertility investigations. Natural Product Sciences 6(1) : 5-10, 2000.
5. Pathak, N., Mishra, P.K., Manivannan, B and Lohiya, N.K. Sterility due to inhibition of sperm motility by oral administration of benzene chromatographic fraction of the chloroform extract of the seeds of Carica papaya in rats. Phytomedicine 7(4) : 325-333, 2000.
6. Lohiya, N.K., Kothari, L.K., Manivannan, B., Mishra, P.K. and Pathak, N. Human sperm immobilization effect of Carica papaya seed extracts : an in vitro study. Asian Journal of Andrology 2(2) : 103-109, 2000.
7. Lohiya, N.K., Manivannan, B., Mishra, P.K. and Pathak, N. Vas deferens, a site of male contraception : an over view. Asian Journal of Andrology 3(2) : 87-95, 2001.
8. Lohiya, N.K., Manivannan, B., Mishra, P.K. and Pathak, N. (2001): Non-invasive reversible vas occlusion with styrene maleic anhydride: A possible alternative to vasectomy. In: Sexual and Reproductive Health: Recent Advances, Future Directions Vol II, C P Puri & P F A Van Look (eds.). New Age International (P) Ltd., Mumbai; pp 249-268.
9. Lohiya, N.K. and Ansari, A.S. (2001): Tolnidamine as male contraceptive agent. In: Advances in Human and Animal Reproduction, Commemoration Volume, Jiwaji University, Gwalior; pp 256-266.
10. Lohiya, N.K., Manivannan, B., Mishra, P.K. and Pathak, N. (2001): Prospects of developing a plant based male contraceptive pill. In: Current Status in Fertility Regulation : Indigenous and Modern Approaches, S R Chowdhury, C M Gupta & V P Kamboj (eds.). Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow; pp 99-119.
11. Manivannan, B., Mishra, P.K., Pathak, N., Sriram, S., Bhande, S.S., Panneerdoss, S. and Lohiya N. K. (2002): Current advances in male contraception. In : Reproductive Biology and Comparative Endocrinology, M. A. Akbarsha (ed). Department of Animal Science, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappali; pp 23-24.
12. Lohiya, N.K., Manivannan, B., Mishra, P.K., Pathak, N., Sriram, S., Bhande, S.S. and Panneerdoss, S. Chloroform extract of Carica papaya seeds induces long-term reversible azoospermia in langur monkey. Asian Journal of Andrology 4(1): 17-26, 2002.
13. Kathuria, S.R., Nath, R., Pal, R., Singh, O., Fischer, R., Lohiya, N.K. and Talwar, G.P. Functional recombinant antibodies against human chorionic gonadotropin expressed in plants. Current Science 82: 1452-1457, 2002.
14. Lohiya, N. K., Manivannan, B. and Mishra, P. K. Andrological investigations for the assessment of infertility. In: Current Views on Fertility Management. A. Krishna. S. K. Singh & V. Tripathi (eds). Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi; pp 97-117, 2003.
15. Kamal, R., Gupta, R.S. and Lohiya, N.K. Plants for male fertility regulation (Review article). Phytotherapy Research, 17(6): 579-590, 2003.
16. Mishra, P. K., Manivannan, B., Pathak, N., Sriram, S., Bhande, S. S., Panneerdoss, S. and Lohiya, N. K. Status of spermatogenesis and sperm parameters in langur monkeys following long- term vas occlusion with styrene maleic anhydride. Journal of Andrology 24(4): 501-509, 2003.
17. Sudha, R., Anantharaman, L., Sivaram, M.V.S., Mirsamadi, N., Choudhury, D., Lohiya, N.K., Gupta, R.B. and Roy, R.P. Linkage of interactions in sickle hemoglobin fiber assembly: Inhibitory effect emanating from mutations in the AB region of the alpha chain is annulled by a mutation at its EF corner. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 279 (19): 20018-20027, 2004.
18. Manivannan, B., Mishra, P. K., Pathak, N., Sriram, S., Bhande, S. S., Panneerdoss, S. and Lohiya N. K. Ultrastructural changes in the testis and epididymis of rats following treatment with the benzene chromatographic fraction of the chloroform extract of the seeds of Carica papaya. Phytotherapy Research, 18(4): 285-289, 2004.
19. Lohiya, N. K., Mishra, P. K. Pathak, N., Manivannan, B., Bhande, S. S., Panneerdoss S., Sriram, S. Efficacy trial on the purified compounds of the seeds of Carica papaya for male contraception in albino rat. Reproductive Toxicology: (2005) In Press
20. Lohiya, N. K., Manivannan, B., Mishra, P. K. Sriram, S., Bhande, S. S., Panneerdoss S. Pre-clinical evaluation for non-invasive reversal following long-term vas occlusion with styrene maleic anhydride in langur monkeys. Contraception: (2005) In Press
21. Manivannan, B., Bhande, S. S., Panneerdoss S., Sriram, S., Lohiya, N. K. Safety evaluation of long-term vas occlusion with styrene maleic anhydride and its non-invasive reversal on accessory reproductive organs in langurs. Asian Journal of Andrology: (2005) In Press
22. Lohiya, N. K., Manivannan, B., Bhande, S.S., Panneerdoss, S., Shipra Garg. Perspectives of Contraceptive Choices for Men. Invited Review: Indian Journal of Experimental Biology (2005) In Press.
23. Lohiya N. K., Manivannan B., Sharma R. S., Panneerdoss S., Garg S. Langur Monkey, Presbytis entellus entellus – An Animal Model for the Study of Human Reproduction. In: Development and Challenges of National Primate Centre for Biomedical Research. C. P. Puri & N. K. Ganguly (eds). NIRRH, Mumbai; pp 279-290, 2005
International conferences attended in the last 5 years:
1. International Conference on Adolescent Reproductive Health: Evidence and Programme Implications for South Asia organized by the Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility/Institute for Research in Reproduction (ISSRF/IRR), Mumbai, November 1-4, 2000.
2. Indo-US Workshop on Male Contraceptive Research and the Role of Men in Reproductive Health, during October 20-21, 2003 organized by National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India.
3. Symposium on Expanding Contraceptive Choices: International and Indian Experiences and their Implications for Polices and Programmes, during December 7-10, 2003 organized by National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health (ICMR), Mumbai, India.
4. International Conference and XIV Annual Meeting of the Indian Society for the Study of Reproduction and Fertility (ISSRF), during January 23-25, 2004, organized by the Department of Molecular Reproduction and Developmental Genetics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
5. International Symposium on Microbicides in Development and their Potential for Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections and Pregnancy organized by National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health (ICMR), Mumbai, India.
6. Aushadhi – 2004, International Seminar on Plant Based Medicine, organized by National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur, October 25-27, 2004.
7. International symposium on advances and challenges in reproductive health research in the post genomic era, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai, January 9-12, 2005.
Corresponding Editor: Asian Journal of Andrology, China
Other Professional Activities:
1. Nominated member of the Centre Management Committee (CMC) for SIF-EM Facility, AIIMS, New Delhi, by the Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India for three years, July, 2000.
2. Elected as a Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India, in the year 2000, based on significant contribution in the field of reproductive biology and fertility regulation.
3. Convener- Academic Committee of the West-Zone Vice-Chancellor’s Conference organized by the University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, October 13-14, 2000.
4. Appointed as a Member of the American Biographical Institute’s (ABI’s) Research Board of Advisors, December 2000.
5. Selected for inclusion of biographical-note in Reference Asia, Asia’s Who’s Who of Men and Women of Achievement, Millennium Edition 2000.
6. Selected for inclusion of biography in the Who’s Who in the world, 18th Edition, 2001.
7. Bharat Mata Award Conferred by Astrological Research Project, Kolkata, January, 2001.
8. Nominated as Member of the Expert Committee in Reproductive Biology by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, for a period of two years, vide letter dated 31 July, 2002
9. Nominated Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai by the Director General, ICMR, New Delhi, September, 2002
10. Elected as a Fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India), New Delhi, India, 2003.
11. Nominated Member of the Joint Working Group (JWG) for the Indo-US Programme on Contraceptive and Reproductive Health Research (CRHR) by the Government of India, Ministry of Science & Technology, Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi, July 2004.